Are you ready for anything?
I chuckled a little at this the first time I saw it about a year ago but after thinking about it for a while I have to agree. If your ready for the Zombie Apocalypse then your ready for any disaster out there. The CDC is excellent at planning for just about anything. I would say you could take their disaster preparedness plan and re-use it for darn near anything you need to plan for. Going for a camping trip? Your going to need to plan for a clean water supply as well as food, clothing, shelter. Don't forget a few tools like an ax, shovel, and flashlights + batteries. First aid supplies also come in handy when you least suspect them. Below is the CDC short list to pack for. I would wager if you used this to pack for anything from a day trip to a month long hike through the woods that you would survive and come out fairly healthy. I also believe anyone following this automatically should earn at least a couple Boy Scout Merit badges.
- Water (1 gallon per person per day)
- Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
- Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
- Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
- Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
- Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
- Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
- First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado orhurricane)